Blueberry and caramelized banana porridge
Happy Valentine’s day to all who celebrate it and… to all who don’t. It would be customary to post something exceedingly romantic on this day, but I believe there is already so much choice, generally including oozing chocolate treats and other marvels, so instead, here’s a very unromantic (I don’t think porridge classifies as a romantic dish by any standards), but a healthy way to kick off morning.
Porridge itself doesn’t have much taste, it’s actually the very definition of bland, and required spices, fruit and berries to kick it up and make it interesting. Blueberries and bananas work really well together (my current favourite), especially when bananas have been quickly caramelized with honey and cinnamon, resulting in warm and flavourful breakfast.
- ½ cup oats (60 grams), you can also use quick oats
- 1 ½ cup milk of your choice: dairy, soy or nut (or 1 cup milk and ½ cup of water)
- 2 bananas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125 grams blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Check the package instructions for cooking your oats, mine usually need a 10 minute soaking and another 15 minute cooking.
- Note: using quick oats you may need less milk, probably 1 cup will be enough.
- Turn on your oven grill on the highest setting.
- Pour 1 cup of milk over oats and let them steep, if need.
- Slice bananas in half and top with 1 teaspoon honey and cinnamon, then place under hot grill for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the oats have soaked, add vanilla extract and cook stirring frequently. If the porridge becomes to dry, add more milk or water.
- Once cooked stir in blueberries and let them warm up for 1-2 minutes, then stir in a teaspoon of honey.
- Divide between two bowls and top with caramelized bananas. Serve immediately.