The last few days deserve to be merged together, or rather day 16 has very little of recipe story to be told.
After a week of visiting friends and sampling local delicacies so familiar to heart, I thought fingers will be itching to get back to cooking, but laziness has weird ways of creeping in and rooting bone deep.
On such lazy moments smoothies and juice cocktails are my saving grace, I believe I could survive on favorite blueberry smoothies only, which are already nutritionally rich and can be enforced with all things at hand (like oats, hemp seeds and etc) to keep filled for a long time.
Juice cocktails (recipe here), particularly those with grapefruits, are excellent after days of enjoying food a little too much. Grapefruits are one of the so-called negative calorie foods, meaning they require more energy to digest than they deliver to your body and speed up metabolism (celeries are another vegetable of this kind, but I’m yet to start liking them). As wonderful as grapefruits are, they are known to counteract certain medication (antibiotics being one of them) so take care before trying.
When hunger does conquer I prefer something effortless, yet filling enough for a day, like sweet and spicy quinoa salad.
Quinoa is rather a seed than a grain and is one of the healthiest of foods, full of protein and healthy amino acids. It’s quick to cook and even cooked retains a bit of crunch, which is perfect for salads, soups and wherever your imagination will take you. I particularly enjoy it paired with bold dressings and wide array of greens.
- ½ cup white quinoa
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 small carrots, halved and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1 mango, thinly sliced
- bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar
- ½ small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Wash quinoa and cover with water, bring to boil and cook quinoa for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Toss together all the salad ingredients, top with dressing and serve.