I wish you never ending dreams
And the longing to realize some of them
I wish you to love whatever needs to be loved
And forget what has to be forgotten
I wish you passions
I wish you silences
I wish you bird songs to wake you up
And children’s laughter
I wish you to resist engulfment,
And the negative virtues of our time.
And most of all, I wish you to be yourself.
~ Jacques Brel ~
But as we have a day to shake memories and show affection to ones we hold dear, I wish you to laughter, affection and to remember that most treasured gifts are not for sale.
Happy Valentine’s day!
For this occasion of love I’ve made a rose elixir drink to yield hearts along with sweet heavenly bites. A sparkling prosecco cocktail with rose petal meringues bursting with raspberry cream, simple yet delightfully delicious!
The prosecco cocktail is easily made with one part of crème de cassis and 4 parts of prosecco, adding a few drops of rose water per glass. Meringues can be made a day in advance, kept comfortably in a fridge and taken out not long before biting in.
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- ½ cups/115 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried rose petals
- 7 oz/ 200 g raspberries
- ½ cup cream, chilled
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, seed scraped ou
- Preheat the oven to 120C/ 250F.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt till stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar beating very well after each addition. Then continue to beat till the meringue looks thick and glossy, but do not overbeat.
- Pipe out mini meringues on a lined sheet and bake for 1 hour. Then switch of the oven, open the door a bit and let them cool down.
- Chill the bowl you’ll be whipping the cream in.
- Add vanilla beans to the cream with sugar and beat till stiff peaks.
- Using your fingertips break down the raspberries and fold them into the cream.
- Spoon a little raspberry cream and sandwich the meringues. Serve immediately or chill until needed.